Thursday, June 26, 2008

New discovery about Haylee

In May I found out that two of my brothers, Todd and Lane, have a food allergy to avocados and guacamole. I thought this was interesting, because I had no idea about it, but they both get really sick when they eat one. With Lane (I don't remember about Todd) he said it is an immediate reaction. He gets so sick right away and will usually start throwing up.

Well, three times in the past month I've gotten some really bad stomach pains after my meal. The first time was on our anniversary night (we left Jackson overnight with Grandma and went to Rexburg to stay in a theme suite... great time to get sick). We ate at Applebees and right after dinner I felt horrible. It felt kinda like indigestion and really bad gas, but I took some gas medicine that I had in my purse and it never helped. It lasted for hours until finally we just succumbed to going to bed.
The next time it happened was right after we had some homemade grilled hamburgers. It was right after dinner, I took anti acid and gas medicine multiple times that night and again it lasted until I went to bed that night.
Last night once again I had horrible stomach pains immediately after dinner. We had stuffed potatoes and my mom just couldn't understand why a potato would give me gas. Potatoes are a pretty mild food. Well I took some medicine as soon as it came on, but it just got worse. I even broke down and took some Alcazelser (that stuff is SO NASTY)... I was desperate to get this pain away. Again, 5 hours later when we went to bed, I was still in pain.

Then it hit me! It was the avocado. Last night we had avocado on our stuffed potatoes, we had it on our burgers the other night I got sick, and I went online to check out the menu of Applebees and saw that the salad I had was served with guacamole! So I join my brother and say I have an Avocado allergy.
I researched a little about it online this morning and read that it is linked to a latex allergy and that other things that I could become allergic to is bananas, latex, and mangos. I just read PEACHES TOO!!! I like avocados enough... but I think I could live without them, however if I develop a food allergy to peaches I don't know what I'll do!
Some other things I read is that the latex allergy is one that can just appear pretty much out of no where (for example: those who work in the medical field who have had much exposer to the latex gloves and then later have a reaction to them). This is the case with me, but I don't think I've ever had problems with Avocado before?!?
Apparently avocados are a fairly common allergen. Who knew? I suppose the 1% of the population so afflicted knew! And while 1% may not seem like much, avocado appears on the lists of ‘common’ food allergens (not the Big Ones, but the next tier down).

Anyways... maybe too much information than you wanted to know, but there you have it-- a new discovery about Haylee.

(info received from http://jonskifarms.wordpress.com/2006/04/08/avocado-allergy/, andhttp://www.immunocapinvitrosight.com/dia_templates/ImmunoCAP/Allergen____28397.aspx)

9 comments:

Abby said...

oh i love avocados and guac! i dont think i could do it! i hate that feeling of indigestion where you just can't get rid of it whatever you try to do... bummer

Audra said...

What a strange thing! I hate them so it wouldn't bother me, but that sucks since you like them! Do you have other allergies? Have you noticed Jackson having any?

When are you guys going to move? I'd love to hang out when I come back in July!

JeNnA said...

hwy hailey.... this morgans sister! but i found your blog through her. cute blog. sounds like you are still livin it up in jackson! FUN!! and dang....that allergy! its crazy! bad weekend for that huh! its fun to read your blog!!

Amy said...

Your new blog looks cute :) Sorry about your new discovery. I would be so sad if I couldn't have avocados... I love em! Todd gets sick almost right away too and has... errrrr, unplesent reactions to them. Easton used to eat avocados with me all the time, but lately, he spits them right out if he gets one in his mouth. I don't force them on him because I figure maybe he knows they make him sick like his dad!

Stephanie said...

Cute new blog!! That totally stinks about avacados. I LOVE them and would be so sad if I couldn't have them especially w/some fajitas!! I'll eat some extras for ya. Cute pictures of Jackson workin with the big boys too. He is such a cutie!!

Johnson Fam said...

WELL DANG Girl, now maybe you can go re-live your anniversary:) I LOVE YOUR BLOG....I wish you could teach me how to do mine like that.

Whitney Blake said...

Love the new look of the blog, very fun!

Anneka @ Anniesays-Anniedoes said...

So Jonny is part of that 1% out there. Except when he eats avocados he gets major migraines. He occassionally throws up but we assume that is part of the migraine cycle. So we have to be really careful whenever we eat Mexican because often even when he asks them for no guac inside his burrito... way often than not it is still there when he gets it! So watch out for that. Sorry about the discovery. Dang cute blog though! So bright and summery.

Emily Empey said...

Thats crazy!! i love Guac!!!! and avacados!